Tuesday, June 5, 2007

NYC DREAMERS

i believe that folks who finally
Pack up their midwestern lives
and move to new york city
have more balls than anyone i
will ever meet.

sure,
i've had friends go to
arizona,
california,
new mexico
vegas,
florida and the like,
but the heat of new york city
is enough to snuff out any dream
city across this american land plane.

there is one such loose acquaintance
that i know who recently went
up there to do some art work
and it fell through.

they have since left,
and that is just fine.

the attempt at a town like
new york is the point.
as the huddled teams of
building cram through my
wondering brain,
i imagine that i live there
for a night and sip in the morning before
i awake to another kansas city morning
with my own slivers of new york
in the paint on my typer keys,
the plaque in my boy's teeth,
and the girl smell in my wife's hair
as the dissipation of dream
becomes the emulsification
of my shoe soles sucking in another
patch of middle western ground.

No comments: